EN | FR
History & Corporate Structure 2019-06-27T19:22:45+00:00

HISTORY

Aimia Inc. completed its initial public offering on the Toronto Stock Exchange in 2005 as the Aeroplan Income Fund and was incorporated on May 5, 2008, under the Canada Business Corporations Act, following its conversion from an income trust.

Between 2005 and 2019, we owned and operated two major coalition loyalty programs (Nectar in the UK and Aeroplan in Canada) until the sales of the entities which operated these businesses to J Sainsbury plc in February of 2018 and to Air Canada in January of 2019, respectively.

The company’s current loyalty solutions business has its roots in the platform investments made since 2005, building on the 2007 acquisition of the global data and analytics insights business, the 2009 acquisition of Carlson Marketing and the 2013 acquisition of the SmartButton business.

Aimia’s investments include the Club Premier program in Mexico, which it has jointly controlled with Aeromexico through its investment in PLM since the step up in its stake to 48.9% in 2012. Aimia’s initial minority investment in PLM was made in 2010, when Aeromexico contributed the Club Premier program to PLM.  Aimia’s initial minority investment in BIGLIFE occurred in 2014, more than three years after the company’s incorporation. As of December 31, 2018, Aimia owned 20% of BIGLIFE, with RedBeat Ventures, a subsidiary of AirAsia, owning the remaining 80%.

CORPORATE STRUCTURE

Aimia’s operations and investments are largely held through its main subsidiaries in the UK (Aimia Loyalty Analytics UK, Aimia Proprietary Loyalty UK Inc., Aimia Holdings UK Limited and Aimia Holdings UK II Limited), the US (Aimia US Inc.), the UAE (Aimia Middle East Free Zone LLC), Canada (Aimia Proprietary Loyalty Canada Inc.) and Australia (Aimia Proprietary Loyalty Australia Inc.).